45-180 Minute Presentations by Jaimie Engle
An award-winning writer and speaker, Jaimie has taught at national conferences, state libraries, and local schools on the art of storytelling. Rates are reasonable and include books (optional). Pick your program and use the contact form beneath to request pricing/availability for your school, conference or group!
* * *
Write a Work that Doesn’t Suck!
45-120 Minute Presentations by Jaimie Engle
Write a Work that Doesn’t Suck
When is it okay to TELL, and not SHOW? What is TENSION and how do I BUILD it? This intensive will give writers, from newbies to best sellers in novels and screenplays, ideas and techniques they have NEVER heard before, guaranteed! From world building, the power of threes, and effectively plotting coincidence, each writer will leave this intensive with a toolbox filled with tips they can use to write a Work that doesn’t suck! Based off the Publisher’s Weekly Book Life Prize in Non-Fiction Quarter Finalist “Write a Book that Doesn’t Suck.” Join the community on Facebook!
World Building –
World building is detailed and goes beyond the story. In this course learn how to create unique worlds by studying the elements and order of building awesome worlds that are believable, independent, and exist before and after the story.
Play-Rewind-Repeat, then Tell, Don’t Show –
In this lesson, students will learn several reasons for telling, not showing in fiction, when to know if you should show or tell, and how to develop the concept in storytelling. In addition, exploring the concepts of bringing characters opportunities to grow by learning from their past and the sins of their fathers allow readers to see themselves in the hero/heroine they root for.
Plotting Coincidence & Building Tension –
In the real world, coincidences happen all the time. Students will learn how to effectively craft and plot a natural coincidence. Likewise, building tension into chase scenes is easy. What about moments when it seems like nothing is happening? Learn how to bring tension into every scene so your readers hang on the edge of your cliffhanger.
Writing for Teens –
Teens are fickle. They are moody and expressive and embrace life in ways adults do not. Learn how to capture the voice of a teenager as you write YA fiction.
Crafting Character through Cosplay –
Characters are the number one memory of beloved books. They must be real, yet they are made up. In this course, learn how to build character as desire, image, voice, action, thought, conflict, in both stock and flat characters, using cosplay and pop culture references.
Building Story –
Story is why we write books and choosing the type of story is as important as the one you deliver. Combine lessons to build story as a journey, power struggle, connection or disconnection.
Capturing Voice –
The irony of voice is that it’s multiple. Learn to craft your writer voice, character voice, and persona using point of view. Dialogue and dialect are also addressed in this session.
Drawing the Image –
Audience should experience your story. Learn how to create pictures with words using concrete, significant details, figures of speech, and imagination.
Setting the setting –
Not simply a location, setting is world, used as a lens, in mood and symbol, and as action in your writing. It includes time, place, and seasons, regardless of your book’s genre and should be considered a character, all techniques you will learn in this session.
Perhaps the most important and overlooked step in the writing process, this session focuses on revising and editing best practices, to include tips that you won’t find anywhere else
Book to Script –
Learn how to turn your IP novel into a screenplay or streaming series.
Fill out the form below to request a booking or more information:
PRIOR EVENT PRESENTATIONS
- 2021 Melbourne Film Club Keynote – Florida
- 2021 Teen “Poetry Writing” Hillsborough County Library — Webinar: Florida
- 2021 Write, Publish, Sell — Florida
- 2021 Space Coast Library Program Live Online — Florida
- 2021 Space Coast South Florida Authors of Romance Speaker — Florida
- 2021 Space Coast Writers Guild “Books vs. Scripts” — Florida
- 2021 Tell Your Story: It’s Your Write Speaker — Florida
- 2021 Just Us Nerds Podcast Guest — Florida
- 2021 FLA Convention Speaker — Florida
- 2021 TPS Author Fest Guest — Florida
- 2021 Authors for Authors – Florida
- 2021 World of Reading Day Keynote via Jr. League — Lakeland, Florida
- 2020 Teen Programming Hillsborough County Library multiple presentations –Webinar: Florida
- 2020 South Florida Romance Writer’s Group “Setting the Setting” — Webinar: Florida
- 2019 Florida Association for Media in Education “Character through Cosplay” — Florida
- 2019 Learning Assembly through UCF “I Dare you to Quit” – Florida
- 2019 SCBWI Long Island “Hit #1 on Amazon & How-To Ads” – Webinar: New York
- 2019 Space Coast Writers Guild “Get Into Barnes & Noble” – Florida
- 2019 SCBWI Long Island “A-Z of Publishing Your Book” – Webinar: New York
- 2019 State Small Business Expo “Branding Your Business Niche” – Florida
- 2019 NEA Big Read “What is Cosplay?” – Florida
- 2018 Authors for Authors Conference “Finding Your Agent” – Florida
- 2018 Florida Christian Writer’s Conference “Writing for the World” – Florida
- 2018 Barnes & Noble book signing “Literacy and Writing” – Florida
- 2017 Suntree Rotary Club “Finding Your Story” – Florida
- 2017 Orlando Book Fair “Panelist & Book Signing” – Florida
- 2017 Sarasota Writer’s Group “Your Book is a Business” – Florida
- 2017 State Small Business Event “Writing for Kids” – Florida
- 2017 SCWG “Marketing Your Book” – Florida
- 2017 Authors for Authors “Marketing Your Book” – Florida
- 2017 Write’s Atelier “Landing a Literary Agent” – Florida
- 2017 Suntree Public Library “Writing Workshop for Youth Program” – Florida
- 2016 Mandel Public Library “Writing YA” – Florida
- 2016 Downtown Orlando Public Library “Writing YA” – Florida
- 2016 Florida Council of English Teachers “Keynote Speaker” – Florida
- 2016 Authors in the Park “Keynote Speaker” – Florida
- 2016 Florida Writers Association “Writing for Children” –Florida
- 2016 Authors for Authors “Excellence in Publishing” –Florida
- 2016 Other Words “Panelist” –Florida
- 2015-2016 Suntree Public Library “Youth Writing Workshops” – Florida
- 2015 NESCBWI Conference, “Your Book as a Business” – Massachusetts
- 2015 Holocaust Museum, “A Mother’s Journey Through Bullying” – Florida
- 2014 SCBWI Conference, “Your Book as a Business” – Florida
- 2014 SCWG Conference, “Writing For Children is a Business” – Florida
- 2013 500 Teacher’s Symposium, “The Business of Publishing” – Florida
- 2012-2017 Eastern Florida State College “Writing Sessions” – Florida